- 2 12 oz. packages of bacon
- 1 pound of sausage
- Veggies (we use green peppers, black olives, mushrooms, and onions)
- 1 can of tomato sauce
- ¼ (half a stick) of butter or other fat
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 1 teaspoon of Italian seasonings (oregano, basil, thyme)
- shredded Mozzarella cheese
Directions: Bacon Crust Pizza
- Preheat oven at 400*
- Line cast iron skillet with bacon laying the bacon in a way so that it can be folded over the top when filled.
- Press in the sausage.
- Add your veggies.
- Mix tomato sauce with butter. Stir in salt and Italian seasonings.
- Pour mixture over veggies.
- Sprinkle with cheese then pepperoni. We used a whole package.
- Wrap bacon over top.
- Bake for about 1 hour.
- Don’t forget to serve with lots of love!
I hope you all enjoy this recipe. Everyone here LOVES it! It almost tastes like a real pizza, only 10 times better!
When there is a large family to feed and you're having a special dinner guest, and you're on the GAPS diet, a dinner menu can be challenging.
The last time we had a priest for dinner along with another family, we served this pizza. We made three pizzas, a salad and served home brewed beer and kombucha. For dessert, our friend made a gluten free pineapple upside down cake. This we served with coffee. We had many compliments on the meal. It was early summer and it really hit the spot.
This pizza can also be served as a casual meal. This is our favorite companion meal to movie night. It is also a birthday favorite. It can stand on its own with no sides on movie night or for a birthday party. Paired with cake and ice-cream make it filling enough for a birthday dinner. Everyone is more interested in the movie to eat a lot of food so movie night is simple with this one easy dish.
It is not an especially economical meal for a large family so it really has become a special occasions meal for us. Enjoy!